Monday, March 15, 2010

Nipissing Napissing

Based on recent events, and through suggesting this lovely option to many of my colleagues, I have come to the conclusion that Nipissing should have nap rooms. Some of you may be aware of this trend existing in companies, such as Nike, Sprint, Deloitte, Airway companies, and the US Army. That's right, the US Army even gets to sleep on the job. A number of companies in the Silicon Valley even have rooms complete with mini showers and alarm clocks (that's right, I did my research), and in all my research I have yet to find a university with nap rooms.

Now, some of you may say "that is what the library is for" or "who needs sleep when you have Red Bull?" To you I say "You are in denial." If you think about it, who wouldn't want a nap room? The library is hot and stuffy and crowded and to sleep in that atmosphere wouldn't give you the good, quality sleep you need to pass that quiz in your bio class in an hour. And who wants to show up with binder ring marks on their face? Pas moi. And why pay for Red Bull when you can nap? That's my theory.

So, I propose that our new library, the "Learning Library," be equipped with said nap rooms. We can be innovative, ahead of the game! Just imagine the stats, people's marks will obviously be affected drastically, there would be more cheer in the hallways, it would be great. I see no downside to this plan, and if you see one, kindly keep your negativity out of our cheery, well-rested halls.

We are the first university to have the iTeach program, and I feel such innovations should extend beyond the world of computers, and into the realm of sleep.

On a slightly related note, what is with the random bed in the second-floor bathroom by the small cafeteria? When the door says occupied you can't go in. It happened to me once. I was just an innocent little student needing to use the facilities and I was denied access. If this is a nap room, then that is just more proof we should have more as students. Sometimes I'm tempted to seek out said bed and set it to occupied myself.

Also, just one final note -- we wouldn't even have to invest in blankets for said nap rooms, if finances are an issue. I know my earlier post convinced us all to start wearing our snuggies to school cape-style to keep us warm in class, so we're all set blanket-wise. Just give us some beds :)


(After completing this post I searched for an appropriate photo accompaniment. I found "Power Pods" from the UK. We wouldn't even need whole rooms! Check it out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment